Roger's Access Library Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Download Libraries > MS Access MVP Libraries > Tejpal, A.D.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

>
Want a good read? Try The Summer of His Life (available on Amazon!)

Form_Resize

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft MVP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.D. Tejpal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Form_Resize
    Posted: 21 Sep 2010 at 1:33am

Form_Resize
(Updated On:  16-Jun-2011)
Explanatory Notes

This sample db demonstrates resizing of access forms so as to suit current screen resolution. In addition, user has the option to carry out custom resizing - if desired.

Six styles of demo forms are included as follows:
    (a) Simple controls - all free to float and resize.
    (b) Simple controls - with certain controls having tag property settings for locking their position and / or size.
    (c) Combo box and list box.
    (d) Nested subforms - Continuous.
    (e) Nested subforms - Datasheet.
    (f) Tab control having (i) Nested subforms and (ii) Option group.

Tag property settings for steering the behavior of individual controls are as follows (more than one setting (separated by ;)  can be included in the tag string):
    (a) LockLeft:  The control retains a fixed distance from left edge of the form.
    (b) LockRight:  The control retains a fixed distance from right edge of the form.
    (c) LockTop:  The control retains a fixed distance from top edge of the form.
    (d) LockBottom:  The control retains a fixed distance from bottom edge of the form.
    (e) LockLeftRight:  The control expands in such a manner that its left edge retains the original distance from left edge of the form, while its right edge retains the original distance from right edge of the form.
    (f) LockTopBottom:  The control expands in such a manner that its top edge retains the original distance from top edge of the form, while its bottom edge retains the original distance from bottom edge of the form.
    (g) LockSize:  The control retains its original size.
    (h) LockWidth:  The control retains its original width.
    (i) LockHeight:  The control retains its original height.

Demo forms have all been designed for a screen resolution of  800 x 600. On opening any of these forms, it resizes automatically to suit the screen resolution currently in force (if it happens to be different from the designed one).

Custom Resizing:
    If the user wishes to fine tune the displayed size of a given form even further, it can be done by double clicking any blank area on the main form (outermost parent form in case there are subforms). Depending upon user's choice in the resultant pop up form, the form in question will resize up or down by 5 percent.

The user is presented with the option to store the custom resized status of the form in question. If accepted, the form will henceforth open at the customized size, irrespective of screen resolution in force.

At any stage, the user can alter the default opening style of a form by double clicking on its blank area, and then selecting any of the following options (the intended change takes effect from next opening of the form onwards):
    (a) Resize to suit current screen resolution - even if custom resizing had been in force so far.
    (b) Resize to customized zoom factor, irrespective of screen resolution in force.
    (c) Retain the original design size - irrespective of current status of screen resolution.

Note:

In this sample db, whenever a demo form is opened, a message box comes up showing the status (e.g. design resolution, current screen resolution, whether the form has been resized as per current screen resolution or whether it conforms to custom zoom level as set by the user). In regular use, such a message on each opening of the form might seem too intrusive. If desired, the opening message can be skipped by de-selecting the check box in main switchboard form (i.e. the start up form).

Usage:
    Form resizing is accomplished via a self contained class named C_ReSizeForm. Import this class along with form F_ZoomMaster into your db. Also import
table T_Zoom and clear its contents.

Sample code in VBA module of main form (this code is not to be placed in VBA module of a subform) is as follows (in this sample case, the form is originally designed for a screen resolution of 800 x 600):
'=============================
' Declarations section
Private fm As C_ReSizeForm
'--------------------------------------------

Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)
    Set fm = New C_ReSizeForm
    fm.P_Init Me, 800, 600

' Note: Above statements should be placed at the very 
    '    beginning (before any other code) in form's open event.  

' Caution: Filteration code if any (e.g. Me.Filter = "FilterString" 
    '    and Me.FilterOn = True) MUST NOT be placed in form's
    '    open event. Form's load event should be used instead.
End Sub

' Note: For proper clearance of circular reference
'    do not set fm to nothing in any event of real form.
'   
Let it be taken care of by VBA's garbage collection
'    process. (Also see note in mfm's close event in
'    class C_ReSizeForm) 
'==============================

Note (For Best Results):  
    (a) AutoResize property of each form and subform should be set to No.
    (b) For proper effect, independent forms should be displayed in their restored status - not maximized. Statement DoCmd.Restore can be placed in form's Activate event.
    (c) As an abundant precaution, each label should be independent (Not captive to any other control).
    (d) For optimum display, preferably use Times New Roman Font.
    (e) For bulk removal of custom resize settings for all forms, simply delete the contents of table T_Zoom. With this step, all forms (where resize class has been used) on opening, shall automatically resize to suit the screen resolution currently in force.
    (f) Datasheet forms must have necessary code in the load event, specifying the row height, font height and column widths as applicable at design stage resolution. This is because, any run time manipulation of these properties tends to stick over to next opening, leading to snowballing effect. Sample code in form's load event is given below:
    '----------------------------------------------
    Me.RowHeight = 300
    Me.DatasheetFontHeight = 11
    Me.Control1.ColumnWidth = 1000
    Me.Control2.ColumnWidth = 1500
    '----------------------------------------------

Version: Access 2003 file format.

References: 
DAO 3.6

--

Email: adtejpal@gmail.com
Sponsored Links
>
Want a good read? Try The Summer of His Life (available on Amazon!)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic