Roger's Access Library Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Download Libraries > MS Access MVP Libraries > Schapel, Steve
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Some Considerations for Assigning a Primary Key
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

>
Want a good read? Try The Summer of His Life (available on Amazon!)

Some Considerations for Assigning a Primary Key

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft MVP

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Schapel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some Considerations for Assigning a Primary Key
    Posted: 04 Jul 2009 at 12:19pm
Some Considerations for Assigning a Primary Key in a Database Table

Database developers must decide on how they will allocate primary keys in their database tables.

There are many developers who have strong beliefs about this or that way to do it.  In particular, concerning the usage of artificial or surrogate fields.

There simply is no consensus on that question, and a definitive statement on it is therefore not possible.  I will certainly reveal my own preferences, but it is not my primary intention here to argue the relative merits of natural versus surrogate keys.

Instead, the focus here is on attempting to clarify the questions that the developer needs to take into account, and to dispel some of the confusion that I often see around this subject...

Read more here: http://accesstips.datamanagementsolutions.biz/primarykey.htm

Sponsored Links
>
Want a good read? Try The Summer of His Life (available on Amazon!)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic