Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Please consider donating $1 per sample downloaded, find out why here. If downloading multiple samples, please donate once for all of them.
Amazon Honor System  Click Here
to Pay Learn More
Access-L Off Topic Forum (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 RAL Forums : Access-L Off Topic Forum
Subject Topic: Silent PC’s: the holy grail Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
-Francisco
Access_L
Access_L

Posted: 12 January 2004 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote -Francisco

at work I have a Dell Dimension 4400 (P4 1.6 w/ 512 2100ddr ram, and two hdd's; 80/60

at home I have a home built Epox AMD 2000xp w/ 1gig of ram and 3 hdd; 60/120/5.

when I first built my home system I threw in a thermaltake volcano 7 on the cpu, which did a whole lotta cooling... however because it was set up to actively spin up or down reltive to temp, it would only range from not so noisy to a vacumn cleaner .. this never bothered me, but my wife was going nuts cuz as it is she hates the pc .

now a pc that was on 24/7 and was too noisy to sit in the living room (for her). was driving her batty. So I upgraded to a Zalman PC cooler Zalman-CNPS7000A-AlCu
this little (err big) cooler is only 25 decibels and when I first installed it she noticed how QUIET the living room was... what's best is that the cooling solution was better than the noisy Volcano 7, the volcano 7 always ran between 104 - 118, but the zalman runs between 98 to 104 degrees. .

that was all great but the pc was not ultra quite yet, the work pc was still much more silent. So much that it sits on my desk next to the monitor and I can't hear it. my home pc is under the table and I was still able to hear the noise from the case cooling fans. My next upgrade was to replace ALL the fans w/ silent equivalents. I found them on ebay, enermax silent fans w/ are thermally controlled so that the slowest setting makes them less than 15dba's but at their loudest will only be 30dba's.. which i've not hit that point yet.

I replaced the side exhaust, the front intake and added a 2ndary rear exhaust... what's more I even replaced the PSU fan w/ one of these and the result was a totally silent PC. The fans are all spining.. and you can really only hear the hdd's spin up at boot .

Last night after dinner we sat in the living room watching Discovery channel's "MythBusters" and my wife asked if I had (finally) turned off the pc. I said no, and she had to walk over to it to see the led lights.. she was most impressed.. I'm happy w/ the results that a PC does NOT need to be noisy in order to be well cooled.

PC THIS!

Back to Top View -Francisco's Profile Search for other posts by -Francisco Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

LaurenH
Access_L
Access_L

Posted: 12 January 2004 at 1:26pm | IP Logged Quote LaurenH

We have only a laptop in the living room, but I have at least three computers running in the den whenever I'm working there. None of them is too loud by itself, but they add up!

They have only CPU and power supply fans, however (and each has a differently-packaged CPU). I'm pretty sure the PS fans are the major culprits. Have you any experience replacing those, or do you replace the PS entirely?

-Francisco
Access_L
Access_L

Posted: 12 January 2004 at 3:45pm | IP Logged Quote -Francisco

yeah I replaced the PSU fan, it's easiest and most expensive to replace the entire PSU... if you want to take you hand on the PSU fan replacement you can check out this page http://www.extensiontech.net/articles/howto/psufan.shtml

what's more for me plugging in the new fan into the psu 2 pin connector didnt' seem to have enough voltage to spin the newly replaced fan, so I fed the wires through the vents in the psu into the case and simply plugged it into one of the fan headers on the motherboard works just the same..

PC THIS!

Back to Top View -Francisco's Profile Search for other posts by -Francisco Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Beth
Access_L
Access_L

Posted: 05 February 2004 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote Beth

We have 3 at minimum always running also.  But they are upstairs in the office and the master bedroom is downstairs with the living room so they don't bother anyone.  Except maybe my 14 yr old and her friends (her room the guest room and gameroom are upstairs with the office). But this sounds like a great idea when we build a new one!

Thanks for sharing!

Beth

Back to Top View Beth's Profile Search for other posts by Beth Send Private Message Add to Buddy List

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version